Friday, September 24, 2010

Appetite Hormone Levels and "Regain"

I am so sorry for the absence- things are CRAZY busy right now. I will catch everyone up and update my Healthy Living Series as soon as I can. In the mean time, I thought I would post this article, as it ultimately ties in with my "Healthy Living Series" when I touch on hormones, stress and blood sugar:

Appetite Hormone Levels May Influence Weight 'Regain'

Dieters with a certain combination are predisposed to reacquire lost pounds, researchers say


(HealthDay News) --Some dieters may be more likely than others to regain any excess pounds they've lost, depending on their particular hormonal makeup, new Spanish research cautions.

A certain combination of appetite hormones leptin and ghrelin appears to predispose some people to weight gain following a diet, the researchers found.

Study author Ana Crujeiras, of Complejo Hospitalario Universitario de Santiago in Spain, and her team report the finding in an upcoming issue of the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism.

The connection between appetite hormones such as ghrelin and leptin and long-range weight-loss complications stems from work with 104 obese and overweight men and women, all of whom embarked on an eight-week, low-calorie diet.

Before dieting, during the diet, and about four months post-diet, Crujeiras and her colleagues measured each participant's body weight and fasting plasma levels of ghrelin, leptin and insulin.

The bottom-line: Those with higher leptin and lower ghrelin levels before dieting were more likely to reacquire the lost weight after the diet ended.

"We believe this research may indicate that the outcome of weight therapy may be pre-conditioned," Crujeiras said in a news release from the Endocrine Society.

"Our findings may provide endocrinology and nutrition professionals a tool to identify individuals in need of specialized weight-loss programs that first target appetite hormone levels before beginning conventional dietary treatment," she added.

And while noting that "the long-term success of maintaining the weight lost is usually poor," Crujeiras suggested that the current observations "could be used as a tool to personalize weight-loss programs that could guarantee success in keeping off the weight."


Have you guys struggled with cravings, stress eating and re-gain? What happened, and how did you deal with it?

1 comment:

  1. That's interesting! I've always thought higher leptin levels were associtated with more satiety and therefore less weight gain!

    I know cravings (who doesn't), and what helped me was to adjust my diet to keep blood sugar levels more stable. My cravings almost always seem to come from hypoglycemia, and when I tackled that the cravings disappeared.

    I'm not a stress eater, rather a stress not-eater, because I can't get anything down when I'm stressed. I tend to eat too much when the stress gets better and I feel how hungry I am then. What has helped me way mindfulness practice: I experience less stress now, so I can stick to more balanced and regular eating and won't fall into a hunger hole later anymore.

    ReplyDelete